Thursday, August 21, 2008

First day of Kindergarten - wow

Today was a rainy, dreary day, but I think Caden brought some serious sunshine into Madison Elementary. I just got off the phone from a 10 minute conversation with Caden's Kindergarten teacher and I am so elated. She called me to say that it couldn't have possibly gone any better. He was cooperative and friendly and just a peach!!! She told me the day started out with playtime and then they sat together as a group. Caden was making some noise (typical) and gaining some attention from his peers, so she decided to get right into it and tell them about Caden and how he communicates, how he's different from other kids. He heard his name and marched right up to the front of the room to stand with her while she talked about him. "Perfect", she said. I made up a Caden Dictionary with all the signs he knows, words he can say, signs he's made up and his 1:1 aide got that out when he was up front and he just signed away for them. The kids were blown away and were trying to learn them.

She's an experienced teacher which helps TREMENDOUSLY, but I am just incredibly touched that she called personally to talk about his day.

Caden stayed in the K classroom for the entire day. His 1:1 aide did take him out to try to use the potty once, but that's about it. Mrs. B (K teacher) did tell me that he got into another little boy's personal space by snuggling and the other little guy wasn't so appreciative, but they talked through that and got permission to tell Caden to move away, etc, so all is well. She also said there's at least one little girl who has taken Caden under her wing and is helping him out whenever and however she can. I love kids that age!

She said he totally brightened up her day and made many of the kids smile. She told the class that she thought the rain had stopped and they could go outside to play, and Caden clapped like mad! He went into the hallway to help staple up letters on the wall and loved being a helper. She also said I can send along the words to Caden's prayer and his 1:1 aide will help him say it before he eats, which THRILLS me. I didn't know if they could get in trouble for helping a child say a prayer in public school, but it's a total non-issue. She also assured me that nearly ALL the teachers at the school are Christians and they love him as such, which made my heart soar.

I'm impressed folks. I love it. Here I was, just a few days ago, thinking I could never send him, and here I am tonight after a phone call thinking - this is it God! This is exactly how I pictured it! You are so good!!!!!!!!!

Pics to follow.

9 comments:

Anxious AF said...

Im so glad it went so well! It warms my heart:)

Cindy said...

What a wonderful first day!

Teri said...

Oh Tena - I'm THRILLED to read about Caden's 1st day! Just makes it all better to know he's doing wonderfully and everyone is being so great!

Jacqui said...

Tena that is just wonderful. I am thrilled for you and Caden. Thank you Lord for guiding you, thank you Lord for the teachers, may His hand continue to be over you and your family.

Kelly said...

I am so glad Caden's 1st day went so well and he has a great teacher! I can't wait for the pictures.

Jen said...

YIPPEE!! I know you were so worried. Sounds like Caden made himself right at home. :-)

Myssie@PendletonMarket said...

I am so glad that Caden's first day was a success! Reading your post made me realize just how much I miss Caden and his smile. :-(

Michelle said...

Praise the Lord! Doesn't that just make it all worth it?!? Austin had a similiar first day of kindergarten last year. Kids really do amaze me sometimes.

Terri H-E said...

Well done, Caden! Caden's smile and enthusiasm are the honed and sharpened skills he uses to create the best circumstances for himself so he can excel. I'm just so psyched that he pulled out all the stops on day 1! Been thinking of you... I'll let you know how our day 1 goes a week from Tuesday... Cheers!