Thursday, December 06, 2007

So, I've tried this before...

This blogging thing, that is. I tried it, and I liked it, but I just wasn't motivated. It was probably due to the fact that 1) I'm not very good with intrinsic motivation and 2) I was off my meds for bipolar at the time and all my blog posts were incoherent ramblings about how perfect I was and how lowly everyone else was. So when I decided to get back into the swing of things, I changed the title of the blog, I changed the look and layout, I changed it all. I am not that person anymore - God has blessed me beyond measure and I am thankful for this little life of mine.

I chose lighthouses for my theme because I collect them. They also have a poignant attribute of God attached to them - He is always faithful, always true, always helping. He never fails. And I want to be like that. Lighthouses remind me that when we need help, all we have to do is look to the True Light - that is, Jesus Christ. I hope that this blog also allows me to share my faith with others and make it more alive to me.

Why the blog title? Well, because this IS our normal. Everyone's normal is different, right? And sometimes I wonder what life would be like without a special needs child. But you know what? I'm not meant to know, and I'm glad for it. Caden is 5 and he is a true little lighthouse. The radiance of him shines through in all he does. He has a rare syndrome called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome which means that he is mentally retarded, has slower-than-normal growth, a heart defect, chronic ear infections and a host of other issues. It also means that we've learned a ton about special needs, IEPs, social security benefits and a host of other issues. He is a champion. At 5 Caden doesn't talk yet but he is getting there - more and more words seem to come and his sign language is improving as well. He's a little guy, wearing 2T-3T clothes, but his heart is as big as they come.

I guess I don't want to share everything about everyone in post #1, huh? We are a busy family, ready to get busier with the impending arrival of new baby boy in a few short weeks (due date is Jan 10). We are also very busy with a large house addition that James and his dad have been doing for the better part of the past nearly 3 years, but the progress is amazing and we are already mostly moved in to the new addition! I just wanted a place to update about what we've been doing and who we are, and to let you know that normal is whatever you make of it!

2 comments:

Terri H-E said...

Yahoo, Tena! I'm so excited you started this. And now you have an extrinsic motivator in the form of me tapping my foot, pointing to my watch, waiting for each new installment on the brilliantly titled - This is Our Normal. Cheers to you, girl.

Kandy Seaton Smith said...

Yay, another blog to add to my blogroll :) I'm glad you started blogging again...I was sad when you quit before. *hugs*